News Releases

News Release - Manitoba

November 17, 2020

GOVERNMENT ENGAGES THOUSANDS IN CONVERSATIONS ABOUT PROTECTING MANITOBANS DURING PANDEMIC

– – –
Nearly 75,000 Manitobans Have Participated in Surveys and Town Halls in November: Premier

More than 34,000 Manitobans have participated in the most recent public engagement opportunities on the province’s #RestartMB Pandemic Response System (PRS) and the new restrictions that took effect Nov. 12, Premier Brian Pallister said today.
 
“Protecting Manitobans is our number one priority,” said Pallister. “We know that clear, accurate information about how we’re responding to this pandemic will help Manitobans understand the steps being taken to protect them as well as the steps they can take to protect themselves, their loved ones and their communities.”
 
Approximately 23,800 people participated in the Nov. 12 town hall, which focused on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System and offered a chance for Manitobans to ask questions about the new public health orders and restrictions that came into effect earlier that day. The telephone town hall included a discussion with Dr. Brent Roussin, Manitoba’s chief provincial public health officer, Dr. Jazz Atwal, a provincial medical officer of health, and other officials.
 
A live poll during the town hall indicated a majority of respondents said they receive their information about restrictions and recommendations from the provincial Pandemic Response System. A vast majority also indicated that direction from government compels them to stay home during elevated levels on the PRS.
 
Nearly 10,000 people provided feedback through an online survey on perceptions and attitudes of COVID-19 between Nov. 10 and 13. The survey results indicated that, overall, most Manitobans were adhering to the public health measures but many respondents also reported having contacts outside their household. Almost half of respondents believed it was safe to have close contact with people outside their household with friends and family they know and trust. Respondents were generally supportive of COVID-19 vaccination and noted they were experiencing stress and fear related to the pandemic.
 
In addition, three roundtables were held this week that included discussion with leadership from Northern Affairs Communities and northern Manitoba mayors, representatives from major seniors-serving organizations, and non-profit sector leaders. Feedback from these conversations will inform government policy and Manitoba’s response to COVID-19, the premier noted.
 
The participation report from the telephone town hall, as well as the results of the survey on COVID-19 Perceptions and Attitudes, is available at:https://engagemb.ca/restartmb-pandemic-response-system
 
The third in a series of telephone town halls is scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 19. This week’s town hall will give Manitobans the opportunity to ask Dr. Roussin and Dr. Atwal about what they can do to reduce the spread of COVID-19 at the Critical (red) level. Manitobans can register to participate in Thursday’s telephone town hall at https://engagemb.ca/restartmb-pandemic-response-system.
 
Upcoming virtual stakeholder roundtable sessions will include discussions with leaders in sectors focused on arts and culture, local business in the north and vulnerable Manitobans, the premier added.
 
Manitobans can also seek clarification on the current public health orders through the question and answer tool on EngageMB by visiting https://engagemb.ca/restartmb-pandemic-response-system.
 
In addition, the province will be taking questions about how Manitobans can maintain or improve their mental health during the Critical (red) level. Questions may be answered during a media availability on this in the days ahead. To submit a question, visit https://engagemb.ca/restartmb-pandemic-response-system.
 
- 30 -